Every once in a while, you've gotta go all in...

Sunday, February 14, 2010

i'm young, and i love to be young. i'm free, and i love to be free

As I sat down to write this post, I realized, rather belatedly, what day it was. Of course, I realized it was Sunday (I'm not that dense), but today isnt just any Sunday. It's Valentine's Day.

While I know it's somewhat expected of me to whine about the bleak outlook I have on my love life, I'm not doing that. Not today. And not any other day. I'm actually content, even thankful, for the way my life is going. Sure I have my moments of self-doubt, but I'm young and still learning. As I said before, I'm a work in progress.

Some cynically dub this Hallmark holiday "Singles Awareness Day." In truth, I've always been annoyed by the nickname. Valentine's Day is nice for those with a special someone to share it with and I won't discredit the holiday simply because I'm single.

On a side note, as I sat on the floor by the bookshelf to choose a movie on this lazy Sunday of mine, I stared at the choices in front of me. Ironically, I chose the First Wives Club. For those who haven't seen it, this '90s era movie is about a group of women seeking revenge on their ex-husbands. Each of the sad excuses for men had, in one way or another, left their wives for younger women. I must say, this movie was nice pick for today. In the end, the three "first wives" learn to lean on each other rather than relying on men to make them happy. They rediscover their friendship as they achieve independence.

So I'm taking today to celebrate, rather than regret, the fact that I'm single. Valentine's Day is about love, and there are plenty of people in my life that fit that description. I'm choosing to celebrate them, and celebrate life.

1 comment: